OPC is partnering with the Ohio Digitization Interest Group for a summer field trip meeting on Wednesday, July 17, 2019 --at the Public Library of Cincinnati and Hamilton County!
OhioDIG has organized FIVE different tours spread out over 2 days--Tues-Weds!
Please register by Monday 7/15, 12 noon at https://forms.gle/nta69QMafCAwXjmR9
For more details on the main meeting and all 5 tours see the Meetings page: https://ohiodig.org/meetings
THEME: "The Ohio Preservation Council presents: Care and Handling During Image Capture"
The Ohio Preservation Council serves as a coalition of preservationists, conservators, librarians, archivists, curators, records managers, the institutions they represent, and other concerned citizens who recognize the serious threat to documentary heritage. The Council's mission is to provide a network for preservation education and to support preservation activities within the state of Ohio.
TALK: "Care and Handling During Image Capture"
• Ashleigh Ferguson Schieszer, Ohio Preservation Council Education and Programs Chair, and Conservator, Public Library of Cincinnati and Hamilton County
• Erin Wilson, Digital Imaging Specialist & Lab Manager, Preservation and Digital Initiatives Dept. Ohio University Libraries
- Host: Katrina Marshall, Public Library of Cincinnati and Hamilton County
- Food: Coffee & snax will be offered at the start of the meeting. Lunch will be brown bag.
- Cost: There is no fee for attending, but we will be accepting donations for the coffee kitty.
- Site: Main Library–Huenefeld Tower Room, Public Library of Cincinnati and Hamilton County (800 Vine St, Cincinnati, OH 45202)
- Directions/Parking: https://www.cincinnatilibrary.org/main/directions.html
AGENDA - TUESDAY 7/16
- 3:00-3:45pm - Tour 1 - The Preservation Lab
- 4:15-5:00pm - Tour 2 - SceneSavers
AGENDA - WEDNESDAY 7/17
- 10:00-10:30: Coffee social (coffee & cookies);
- 10:30-11:45: Presentation and discussion on topic;
- 11:45-12:00: Break;
- 12:00-1:00: Brown bag lunch: all-attendee updates, discussion;
- 1:10-1:30: Tour 3 - PLCHC Digitization Lab
- 2:00-2:30: Tour 4 - The Lloyd Library and Museum
- 3:00-4:00: Tour 5 - Cincinnati Museum Center photo exhibit
FIVE different tours are being offered!
- TOUR 1: The Preservation Lab (includes PhaseOne camera), TUES July 16 - 3:00-3:45pm. Langsam Library, University of Cincinnati, 2911 Woodside and Martin Luther King Jr. drives,(West campus), Cincinnati. The primary mission of the Preservation Lab is to preserve and conserve the collections of the Public Library of Cincinnati & Hamilton County and the University of Cincinnati Libraries. Directions: Langsam is the main library right across from the entrance to Burnet Woods. Parking is available in Woodside Garage. It will be the first parking garage on your right. The cost of parking is hourly and won’t exceed $10. Take the garage elevator to 4 to the library lobby. The Preservation Lab is in the basement of the library. I’ll need to meet the group in the lobby of Langsam and escort everyone down. http://thepreservationlab.org/
- TOUR 2: SceneSavers, TUES July 16 - 4:15-5:00pm. SceneSavers, PGP Group, 424 Scott St, Covington, KY. Tour a state of the art audio/visual digitization and restoration studio. SceneSavers works with archives, corporations, museums, colleges and universities, and broadcasters to preserve and provide access to motion picture film, video and audio content. http://www.scenesavers.com/
- TOUR 3: PLCHC Digitization Lab, WEDS July 17 - 1:10-1:30. PLCHC, 800 Vine St, Cincinnati. (same building as main meeting). On the tour you’ll see our office space, planetary scanner, book scanner, and other equipment. https://www.cincinnatilibrary.org/main/
- TOUR 4: The Lloyd Library and Museum, WEDS July 17 - 2:00-2:30pm, 917 Plum St, Cincinnati (1/3 mile from PLCHC). The Lloyd Library and Museum is a world renowned independent research library and exhibit space devoted to bringing science, art and history to life. Check out this unique library of material related to botany, pharmacy, and science. Current exhibit: Through the Rx Bottle - explore the medicinal use of cannabis prior to its federal ban in 1937. https://lloydlibrary.org/
- TOUR 5: Cincinnati Museum Center photo exhibit, WEDS July 17 - 3:00-4:00 , 1301 Western Ave, Cincinnati (2 miles from PLCHC/1.2 miles from Lloyd) Come tour the Cincinnati Museum Center's newest exhibition "Until We Meet Again: Cincinnati Portraits from World" with Jim DaMico, curator of Audio-Visual Collections. Take this chance to also see the newly renovated space. https://www.cincymuseum.org/
- MAP of tours: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1X_-778SBsx0KH2hzr0i6af9VepU0ZGFe&usp=sharing
For more details see the Meetings page: http://ohiodig.org/meetings.html
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
About OhioDIG: The Ohio Digitization Interest Group is an informal discussion group open to all with an interest in digitization, digital preservation, and access in the archives/library/museum/historical society world. We meet every other month, primarily in central Ohio (Jan, Mar, May, Jul, Sep, Nov).